A minimum of 37 lessons per student will be scheduled during the 2021-22 academic year.
Lesson is provided in 30 minutes or 45 minutes weekly. I generally follow the Fairfax County Public School calendar and do not teach during the Christmas and New Year holidays, Thanksgiving week, and Spring break.
I encourage all my students to take some lessons during the summer months so they don’t forget everything they have learned during the year. Summer instruction is provided by arrangement and billed separately.
Tuition & Payment
Tuition of 37 lessons is divided into equal monthly payment. Tuition invoices are sent through email. Tuition is due at the first lesson of each month. A late fee of $10 is charged for a payment received after the due date. Tuition covers lesson preparation, planning, and time with students.
Registration/Material fees cover all piano books, sheet music, and studio recitals. Additional fee will be added on the invoice for theory test, competition, or festivals.
For current tuition rates, please visit https://www.sunnywumusic.com/welcome/
Tuition and registration fees are non-refundable.
In the event of a school cancellation due to inclement weather, I do not automatically follow the Fairfax County Public School’s closing schedule. If I decide to cancel lessons, notification will be given through text message or phone call at least one hour prior to the start of lesson time.
Make up Lessons
If there is a conflict with the scheduled lesson time, students may cancel the lesson as needed with the understanding that missed lessons will not be rescheduled or refunded. I may offer make up lessons at my discretion.
In order to retain skills developed during the school year, students are encouraged to continue lessons over the summer. Summer instruction is provided by arrangement, and summer tuition is charged by lesson and billed separately.
A one-month notice is required for students discontinuing lessons for any reasons. Once a student embarks on a school year of study, it is expected that he or she will complete a full year of study. If you have any questions or concerns, please talk to me either after a lesson or over the phone. Your child’s musical growth is important to me and I would appreciate knowing any problems that you encounter at home.
Expectations in the Studio
- Please be prompt for lessons.
- Please wash hands before lessons. A student may be asked to wash hands before a lesson. Fingernails should be clipped short. This is an important factor in hand position at the piano.
- Please keep all food and beverages in your vehicles.
- Parents are welcome in the waiting area during the lesson, but if you have small children please make sure that they will not disrupt the lesson.
- The studio is also our home, so I ask that you please respect our privacy and stay in the waiting area while you and your student wait. If someone needs to use the bathroom to wash their hands, you are welcome to use the powder room.
Expectations at Home
- Once a student signs up to study piano, he or she is expected to practice piano regularly.
- Students are expected to practice five days a week. It is best to practice immediately following a lesson. Recommended practice time per day is approximately 15 minutes for beginners with time increasing to 30 minutes as the student advances.
- The student is responsible for keep a practice log. Parents should monitor this on a weekly basis and check the student’s practice log.
- Children need a home environment that is conducive to learning in order to achieve their full potential. A well-maintained and playable music instrument is required for learning the instrument. Parental encouragement also plays an important role in the success of the student.
- For students who are learning piano, an acoustic piano is strongly recommended.